What is a Battery Management System (BMS)?
... and why do I need one? If you have a rechargeable batttery you most likely have a BMS to support it. The BMS, at its most basic level, provides the following services:
- Manages the batttery environment to ensure it remains safe
- Monitors the state of the battery (i.e. SOC, SOH and DOD etc.)
- Calculates data
- Manages data
- Communicates information
- Optimizes the battery environment
A well designed BMS protects the primary energy source for electrified transportation. It ensures that the power source, the battery, is working optimally.
The Benefits of AMP's BMS
The benefits of AMP's Battery Management Systems for mobility applications include:
- Low cost
- High performing
- Functional safety rated capable
- Source Code and Schematics
Our BMS team, led by our CTO, Anil Paryani, has 20+ years experience developing battery management systems and supporting technology. Our BMS team has had integral roles in developing the BMS solutions for the Tesla Model S, Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3 and Faraday Future's FF91.
Our BMS Electronic Control Unit (ECU)
The AMP BMS ECU (shown below):
- Accelerates Development
- Utilizes a Customizable Platform
- Lowers the Cost of the BOM
- Leverages Years of Lessons Learned
- Integrates Validated Circuitry
AMP has 50+ combined years of experience from EV pioneers such as Tesla, Honda, Toyota, AeroVironment, EnergyCS, JCI, and FF.
Our Highly Flexible BMS Architecture
The AMP BMS Architecture is highly flexible, configurable and scalable:
- Scalable for battery pack configurations (single string, multi-string)
- 400V/800V configurable
- Centralized or distributed design
- Optimized for cost, reliability, performance and safety
- Software abstraction (SIL capable)
Our BMS Features
State of Charge
State of Health
Non Volatile Storage
Current and High Voltage sensing
Integrated Safety Rated RTOS
Temperature & Humidity Sensing
Low Sleep Current (<500uA)
Integrated J1772/GBT Charging Interface
Vehicle Communications (CAN and Ethernet) via Auto-code Generation
Low Voltage Battery Management
Bootloader with Boot Updater (UDS and ISO-TP)
Automotive Rated Hardware Components
Contactor Control and Diagnostics
Our team has been spent the last 20+ years refining their skills in the art of managing energy on and off vehicle.They have built solutions for some othe largest e-mobility companies in the world including Tesla, Faraday Futures, Parker Aerospace, Rivian, Honda just to name a few. We consider Chassis Control Systems development one of our core competencies.
- Our team has delivered many automotive and aerospace production hardware solutions for major OEMs including Ford, Nissan, Toyota and Tesla.
- We specialize in working with smaller OEMs but can also support larger OEMs
- We are agile in our development of both hardware and software and will quickly deliver even when requirements change.
- We create innovative, cost effective solutions that are safe and secure.
- We share source code and schematics for our customer’s internal use and review to ensure the highest quality product. This is a substantial difference between AMP and larger suppliers.